Mogrith

alternative to anon fees/Masternode pay

3 posts in this topic

Hi all,

One of the drawbacks of NavTech is the extra fee it costs users. But also we need a way to reward owners of Navtech servers.

Creating new coin to pay servers will increase inflation. However our current inflation overall is well under the %5 allows. So if there was some way that Navtech servers could receive a stake bonus equal the the ratio of non-staking-stakeing. the amout of coin inflation will always be less than 5%.

So if staking is 46% then non staking is 54% so navtech servers would get 7.7%. Navtech pools are much smaller than the non-staking coin pool so overall inflation is still under 5%

We could use a base bonus (2.5%) and add the ratio to the base This would make Navtech servers more attractive and still have little effect on overall inflation. in this case a Navtech server would get 5%+2.5%+2.7% or 10.2%. and we could drop additional fees.

This can also work when we move to dual chain wallets instead of stand alone servers. In your wallet you 'reserve' x coins for navtech.  they stake at the navtech rate.

this ways fees can be turned off we don't have to worry about sharing fees between server clusters as there are no fees. Your return is based on coin invested in navtech not on traffic you randomly get sent.

We still need a good way to combine clusters owned by different people.

I mentioned this on slack but thought I'd put here for reference and comment.

One drawback to this idea is that one large server is better than several small ones unless your hardware is free.

Right now I have 2 ins and 2 outs at $20 a month rent for each. I don't turn into one larger pool of 1 in and 1 out because we need more servers out there to make it harder even try to track a private payment.

this will be less of an issue when dual chain wallets are used instead of servers

I like the idea behind this Mogrith, give the Navtech server operators the remainder of coins not accumulated from staking due to being offline etc...

The problem is that without resetting the age of coins, this wouldn't work very well.  As you say right now, less than half of Nav Coins are staking (for ease of discussion, lets say there are currently 50% of coins staking).  Yes it is true that this means the current inflation rate is only 2.5%, but what if in 3 years all those dormant coins decide to turn their wallets on and start staking... they will get huge rewards and our 5% annual inflation rate will catch up with us.  If following your proposal we could end up with more than a 5% annuall inflation.  So, here is my proposal:

To get around the above scenario we need a way for the old coins coming online and start staking to be limited as to not go over the defined 5% annual inflation.  We would need to define "periods" (lets say a period is 3 months long) where the reward calculation will only mint coins based on the age of coins in the current period.

1) a navtech server is loaded with coins in order to process the anon tx's.  these coins, just as all other active coins, will earn staking rewards.  there is no fee paid by the user for an anon transfer.

2) at the end of each period, the network will mint coins to proportionally pay out all navtech servers for their service during this period.  This amount is calculated based on the un-awarded staking fees in the given period to keep up with exactly a 5% per year inflation rate

3) rinse and repeat.

The VERY important change however would come in to place when a staking reward is payed out for staking a block on the chain. (both for navtech and regular nodes)

Currently the calculation is something like this:

[<age of coins in days> / 365 * 5%]  * <amount of coins> = <staking reward>  

We would need to max out the value of <age of coins in days> to be no greater than the number of days since the beginning of the current period.

This would essentially make a staking reward only give out a payment for at most 90 days of interest.

A couple of notes on this idea:

1) the weight of coins would remain untouched as this is important to keep the network flowing when the end of a period is reached.

2) the proportional payout to navtech servers at the end of the period takes into account the percentage of the period in which they had coins on the navtech server.  was it the full 3 months or only 1 month?

3) this should entice more people to keep their wallets online 24/7 as they want to ensure they don't miss out on any staking rewards (stronger network).  Currently, compounding interest is the only incentive to keep a wallet online 24/7 (which doesn't amount to very much).

4) entices navtech operators to keep a lot coins on their navtech server which 'locks' them up from the market.

5) I do not propose a hard lock up of coins, lets call it a 'soft lock' of coins.  I think it is important to allow navtech operators the ability to move coins in and out of their server as needed.  But the incentive to keep them there still remains as they will want a higher reward at the end of the period.

6) this would create essentially a near perfect linear 5% inflation overtime, which is good as there will be no surprises if in 10 years a big stack of coins start staking and a HUGE influx of coins enters the market.

Sorry if this is un-organized, but didn't have much time to get it all together, let me know if you have any questions/concerns or need for clarification.